1. School starts early for incoming freshmen, who have to trade their sand-encrusted copies of "The Hunger Games" for biology textbooks and get ready for four years of rigorous academics (and hopefully, a lot of fun) when they attend orientation today. But they won't be packing brown bag lunches for just themselves — they'll also be making sandwiches from ingredients donated by local businesses to donate to . School government leaders organized the project, which will take place in the SHS cafeteria from 10:30 a.m. to noon. These altruistic future politicians could teach Tracy Flick from "Election" a thing or two about public service, huh?
2. Heads up to all Scarsdale seniors looking to get their limbs moving and their hearts pumping — Tai Chi has been cancelled. But practitioners of the graceful Chinese martial art shouldn't distress, as another class will be held tomorrow. For more information, call the at 914-722-1160.
3. Old meets new when you shelve your summer reading options and purchase some fresh picks for fall at the annual library book sale. The sale kicks off next Friday with a members-only preview from 7-9 p.m, will open to the general public the following day from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and end with a bang — or at least, a big blow-out sale — on Sunday, Sept. 18. Swing by early to get first dibs on an extensive collection boasting 8,000 almost-new and out-of-print titles ranging from art and antiques to business and poetry. CDs, DVDs, videocassettes, sheet music and children's titles will also be offered.
4. Mozart started playing piano at age 4, so why shouldn't your baby, preschooler or kindergarten student start music lessons at the ? This morning, the School is opening its doors to parents of children ages 4 months to 5 years to attend an Open House for its Preschool Music Programs from 10 a.m. to noon. Find out more about course offerings ranging from "Getting to Know You: Exploring the Instruments" to "Spanish for Preschools" and "Mandarin Chinese Music & Movement" by attending the Open House, located on school premises on 25 School Lane. Contact Jocelyn Kenner at 914-723-1169 or firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
5. Care for some conversation with your afternoon tea? Enjoy your Earl Grey brew with two lumps of sugar and scintillating company at the Membership Drive. Held from 1-4 p.m. today at the historic Rowsley clubhouse, guests will be greeted by club members and learn about the Club's educational, artistic cultural and philanthropic activities. And don't fret if you don't live in the 10583 area code — you're still welcome! President Theresa Mae Tori has welcomed members from 28 communities, including Rockland County, New York City and even India and Italy.
It was incorrectly stated that the Friends of the Scarsdale Library's Annual Book Sale started tomorrow. The book sale will begin next week.
Patch regrets the error.