Lavada Nahon, the event's Production Coordinator, said, "A lot of the food to be offered will be corn-based and all guests will receive a free bag of popcorn as they enter."
Corn-based food for purchase:
- Corn and black bean chili
- Corn dogs
- Corn fritters with maple syrup
- Corn muffins
- Corn salsa and chips
- Kettle corn (in popcorn family), made with sugar and salt
- Roasted corn on a stick, cooked on a griddle
- Roasted corn salad
- Sweet-corn ice cream served in cones or cups, blueberry sauce available
- Fresh-ground cornmeal to bring home (comes with a recipe for "Indian slapjacks" attached to package)
Croton-on-Hudson's Blue Pig will dish out sweetcorn ice cream in vanilla and chocolate flavors and hand out tasting samples. Beverages to be offered include Captain Lawrence Brewery's draft beer and Saranac root beer.
Corn-recipe cookbooks will be available for sale and free copies of recipes with corn as an ingredient will be distributed.
Visitors who enter one of the 30-second corn shucking contests get to keep the corn ears they successfully shuck (five ears is said to be a good shucking score). But otherwise corn will not be available for purchase.
The admission cost for this first annual CORNucopia is $14 for adults; $12 for seniors and $8 for children, 3 to 17. Members and children under 3 admitted free. The hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on August 31 and September 1-2. No one will be admitted after 4 p.m. Tickets can be purchased at: www.hudsonvalley.org/store
Historic Hudson Valley, Philipsburg Manor, 381 N. Broadway (Route 9), Sleepy Hollow, NY, 914-631-8200.