Father's Day is just around the corner, and if you're reading this, it may mean it might even have slipped your mind.
Hallmark, department stores, and restaurants are having all types of deals and products to brighten the task at hand, though, if you did indeed manage to escape the constant reminders on commercials, and in newspaper and magazine advertisements, doutless it will be as easy to avoid the gloating by friends and family members touting the awesome gifts they purchased.
If you are still worrying and scrambling around for the best card and gift ideas for the favorite man, or men, in your life, then keep reading.
Below are a variety of gift ideas for wife to husband, younger child to father, adult child to father, grandchild to grandfather, and adult to father figure.
And, for those with a limited budget, there are gift ideas for you as well. Not all great gifts require spending any money, but they do need an investment of some time and resourcefulness.
Wife to Husband
- Secure a babysitter for the kids, and cook an intimate dinner for you and your husband. Cook his favorite meal. Let him wear one of his sharpest outfits, and you wear a beautiful figure-flattering dress. Get dolled up for his special night.
- If cooking is not your specialty, treat your husband to dinner at Chat American Grill, Moscato (Mediterranean cuisine), Rustico Ristorante (Italian cuisine), Shoyu Sushi (Japanese cuisine), Eastchester Fish Gourmet Clam Bar & Restaurant (Seafood cuisine), or Casa Maya Mexican Grill (Mexican and Latin cuisine).
- Make your way to Lord & Taylor, and shop its spring and summer 40%-60% off sale and clearance. First stop is the cologne counters. Replenish your husband's favorite scent, or be adventurous and buy a new scent both you and your husband would love. The store carries brands including Armani, Burberry, Calvin Klein, Dior, and Hugo Boss.
- Enjoy perusing the tables at the Scarsdale Fine Arts Festival, and have him select a piece that speaks to him, for displaying at home. After a quick perusal, might we suggest mixed media photography by Jim Trippe , color etchings by New Rochelle artist Linda Dato vibrant prints by Robert Barab, classical oil paintings by Mark H. Brown , bent wood scultor Renee Dinauer or nature photography by Ron Mellott, not to mention the work of many other fine artists who will be attending. Keep it all about his purchase, though, or you risk slipping into just another potentially tedious hunt for home furnishings. Make it a very personal purchase, and insist upon the piece being reflective of his sensibilities.
Younger Child to Father
- Kids, bake your dad a tasty treat. Betty Crocker and Disney's Family Fun websites list a number of creative and easy cake and cupcake recipes. Make sure to get a grown-up's help. If you do not want to bake a cake, order one from Lulu Cake Boutique or La Renaissance Bakery.
- Take your dad to St. Nersess Armenian Seminary 2nd annual Father's Day Picnic on Sunday, June 20 from 12:00pm to 5:00pm. Enjoy Armenian kebob meals, homemade desserts, and live Armenian music. There will also be a White Elephant sale, vendors, and children and teen activities. Admission and parking are free. Event will happen rain or shine.
For more information, visit www.stnersess.edu or call 914-636-2003.
Location: St. Nersess Seminary (150 Stratton Road New Rochelle, NY)
- Or, take your dad to Sing with Dad at the Father's Day Jam on Saturday, June 19 at 10:30 a.m. Sing, dance, and jam along to Music for Aardvarks. Appropriate for children 6 months to 5 years old and their parents. Pre-registration is required. The cost is $15 and $10 for each additional sibling. For more information, visit www.findgroove.com or call 914-834-3383. Location: Groove Performing Arts, 157 Larchmont Avenue, Larchmont.
Adult Child to Father
- You can go shopping at Brooks Brothers Father's Day Collection, which includes clothing and accessories for the Active Dad who enjoys time outdoors. The collection also includes something for the Casual Dad who enjoys laidback time during the weekends, for the Executive Dad who is career driven, and for the Classic Dad who values tradition and quality.
- Spend some quality time together outdoors. Head over to Danny's Cycles and rent a bike ($40/day to $60/day), if you and your father do not already own one. Potential cycling routes near Scarsdale include Bronx River Trail and Bronx River Pathway. For additional routes and to customize a route, visit MapMyRide.com.
- Take your dad to the NYC Cigar Company, a cigar lounge in Eastchester (419 White Plains Road). The lounge carries premium hand-rolled cigars and premium hand-made major label cigars. There are high-definition plasma TV's and 8-player card table with casino-style chips.
Grandchild to Grandfather
- There is nothing like the classic gift idea, ties. Have an adult take you to a department store or men's suit store, and pick out a couple of ties you think your grandfather will like best. Pick a tie based on his favorite color, or for a special occasion. If you want him to make a statement, pick a tie with an eccentric design or image.
- Get crafty. Make your grandfather a gift from the heart. Take out your crayons, glue, scissors and glitter. Get permission to head to the library for arts & crafts books, or visit Disney's Family Fun website for project ideas. You can create your own card, personalize his barbeque apron, or make tasty edible treats.
- Ask your parents to host a barbeque and invite the whole family. Your grandfather would love having all of his grandkids and children together at one time in one place. You can serve as the host. Help make the hot dogs and hamburgers. Make sure everyone has juice or soda to drink. Play games and activities with your cousins. And, most importantly, shower your grandfather with love every chance you get.
Adult to Father figure
- Grab your golf clubs and practice your swings. The rates at Saxon Woods Golf Course are $29/ $39 (With Park Pass/ Without Park Pass) for 18 Holes and $23/ $25 for Back Nine on the weekends.
- Head over to Lord & Taylor, and shop its spring and summer 40%-60% off sale and clearance. Get your father figure the perfect time piece. The store carries numerous watch brands including Bulova, Movado, Michael Kors and Guess. Another gift suggestion is cufflinks. Choose based on brand, color or price. There are enough options for pickiness.
Whatever you decide to do for the special man or men in your life, make it a memorable one. And, do not forget to take pictures.