.

Scarsdale Fire: Candle And Generator Safety Tips

The Scarsdale Fire Department is urging residents to be careful using candles and generators post-Sandy.

The following is an announcement from the Scarsdale Fire Department:

As residents of the Village of Scarsdale deal with the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, including widespread and long term power outages, the Scarsdale Fire Department would like to remind all residents to be extremely vigilant with their the use of candles and generators.

Candles should not be left unattended for any reason, and must be extinguished before leaving the room and before sleeping. Candles should only be placed on sturdy non-combustible surfaces and combustible items like paper and cloth should not be placed near candles.

When using generators be very mindful that carbon monoxide is created when the generator is running. Generators must be placed outside the house and in a well ventilated area! In addition, residents are urged not to connect their generators to their main electrical panel themselves – this work should only be performed by a licensed electrician. Finally, when connecting appliances, lights, etc to portable generators be sure to use UL listed extension cords of adequate size and capacity.

On a related note, all Fire Department business phone lines are still out due to the storm. Emergencies should be reported to 911 or the Fire Department emergency number at 914-722-1217.

Non-emergency storm-related issues should be reported to Scarsdale’s Emergency Operations Center at 914-722-1150 between the hours of 6am – 9pm. After hours non-emergency issues can be reported to the Scarsdale Police Department at 722-1200.

Kevin Dawson November 02, 2012 at 04:35 PM
Thought that this great Fire Prevention idea would interest you. We will have Power Failures – People will Burn Candles I am the first to agree that flashlights and light sticks are the preferred form of emergency lighting. The difficulty with most homes and emergency kits is their ability to provide lighting on a long term basis -24/48/72 hours or 10 days. This is why Kevin’s Kandles are an ideal tool for emergency and disaster preparedness. - 15,000+ accidental candle fires are reported in the USA each year. Kevin's Kandles greatly reduce this risk for your family and your community. They help eliminate the "Stupid Factor" when people run out of batteries during extended power failures and "get creative" with their illumination. In North America, 4% of residential fires are candle related. A majority of the deaths and injuries occur during power failures and in houses where the electricity has been disconnected. They are Much Safer than traditional candles, Convenient, Inexpensive and Environmentally Friendly. If a Kevin's Kandle is left unattended - it will go out; if it is tipped over - it will go out! -Each pack of Kevin's Kandles manufactured in the USA, contains 100 - 10 hour candles. A carton measures 15 x 15 x 20”, weighs 25 pounds and contains 500 packs of Kevin’s Kandles. That’s a potential of 50,000 - 10 hour candles! To view the demonstration video and learn more visit www.asafercandle.com Kevin Dawson info@asafercandle.com

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something