Connecticut Governor Dannel P. Malloy wrote a letter Oct. 25 to Audrey Zibelman, Chair of the New York State Public Service Commission, requesting the commission conduct a thorough investigation into the loss of power last month on Metro North’s New Haven Line due to the failure of the Con Edison substation in Mount Vernon.
That's the Sept. 25-Oct. 6 event which the Metropolitan Transit Authority itself described thusly: "The length and magnitude of the impact of this non-weather related event makes this disruption unique in MTA and Metro-North's history."
The PSC is already investigating, spokesman James Denn said in an email Oct. 28.
"As part of our ongoing independent investigation, we will seek to understand both its root cause and what steps might have been taken to avoid the incident and/or reduce its severity," Denn said. "As we move expeditiously forward with our investigation, we will work closely with all appropriate parties to ensure a complete record is assembled. Based upon the findings of our investigation, we will then determine a course of action, including assessing whether the imposition of the PSC's authority to impose penalties is appropriate."
Meanwhile, the MTA Board has authorized Metro-North to offer a credit to affected New Haven Line Monthly and Weekly Ticket holders to compensate for the significant disruption caused by the power outage.