As thousands in Scarsdale and Greenburgh remain without power and heat due to Hurricane Sandy, officials throughout Westchester County are advising folks to be cautious during the next few days.
On Wednesday, the National Weather Service is predicting. Lows will dip down to the 30s.
Both Scarsdale Mayor Miriam Levitt Flisser and Greenburgh Town Supervisor Paul Feiner are asking residents without power to seek warm, heated shelters for the next few days.
There are showers and daytime warming in New Rochelle, White Plains and Tarrytown. For folks looking for more information, call the
Both the Greenburgh Public Library and the Scarsdale Public Library are offering heat, power and charging stations. In Scarsdale, folks can enjoy free coffee and free movies.
There are also several options for charging devices and hot showers. Click here to view the list.
“Low temperatures can be life-threatening, especially for seniors, infants and people who are at increased risk for hypothermia,” said Westchester County Health Commissioner Dr. Sherlita Amler. “Accidental hypothermia can occur even with temperatures of 60 to 65 degrees, so I urge residents who have power, especially those households with seniors or infants, to keep their thermostats set at no less than 68 degrees during the daytime.”
The County Board of Health is urging residents who do not have heat to stay in a shelter, hotel or family member's house to prevent hypothermia, especially the elderly and those with infants and children.
The BOH said the warning signs of hypothermia in adults include: shivering, confusion, memory loss, drowsiness, exhaustion and slurred speech. Infants with hypothermia may appear sluggish, with very low energy and bright red, cold skin.
The following are tips to prevent frostbite and hypothermia provided by the Westchester County Health Department:
· Dress warmly in windproof clothing.
· Go indoors when you begin to feel cold.
· Wear several layers of loose-fitting clothing to trap body heat.
· Remember gloves, scarves and a hat that covers the ears.
If you suspect you are suffering from hypothermia, seek immediate medical attention.
For those using generators to power homes and apartments to keep the heat running, never use a generator inside.
"Using a generator indoors can kill you in minutes," the Health Department warns. "Never use a generator inside your house or in partly enclosed areas such as garages, basements, porches, crawlspaces, sheds, carports or breezeways, even if your windows are open. Generators should only be operated outside, away from open windows. Carbon monoxide in the generator's fumes can build up and cause carbon monoxide poisoning, which can lead to death. Additionally, if you plan to cook on a barbecue grill or camp stove, remember these also produce carbon monoxide and are for outdoor use only."