its way into Westchester and folks around the region are adjusting to the hot temperatures.
In Scarsdale today, the National Weather Service is predicting temps to reach 98 degrees today. The heat index will top 100–making if feel like a whopping 104 degrees.
There is currently a heat advisory in effect for Scarsdale, due to the high heat and humidity, according to the NWS. An air quality alert is in effect through 11:00 p.m. in Westchester.
Here are some extreme heat safety tips from the National Weather Service and FEMA:
- Schedule strenuous, outdoor activities for early morning or late evening hours when the temps are cooler.
- Be aware of the symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat stroke.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Limit alcohol consumption and caffeine consumption.
- Wear lightweight and loose fitting clothes.
- Keep blinds closed and/or curtains drawn to keep the home cooler.
- If you work outdoors, take frequent breaks indoors or in the shade to cool down.
- Be sure to check on elderly neighbors.
- Keep pets hydrated and in the shade/AC.
- Do NOT leave children or pets alone in closed vehicles.
- If you are overcome by heat or suffering from heat stroke, call 911 immediately.