I have my list of gifts for the holidays. Who wants a video game, Harry Potter Series, a Gucci bag? Okay, the bag is for me but I’m still stressing. Here it comes–my shoulders tense and my head starts to pound. Calgon take me away. We have all experienced stress. How can we relieve our stress? Is being stressed really that bad?
There is such a thing as good stress. That is the stress that gets your endorphins going. It’s a rush accompanied by a good feeling. Bad stress is another thing. According to The American Institute of Stress, there are several effects of stress. Some are hair loss, muscle pain in the neck, shoulders and back, depression, headaches, cardiovascular disease, hypertension and weight gain, just to name a few. So yes, stress is something you don’t want to have accumulate. The key to reducing stress is to prevent it but it is unavoidable and part of life. So how do we de-stress?
Exercise. Exercise. Exercise
- When done properly it can reduce all the bad and increase all the good in your body. Take different classes to find what is right for you.
- Go for a walk/run with a friend.
Give yourself time to work-out and relax.
- Try the Far Infrared Sauna Therapy. This particular sauna is an effective and therapeutic way to reduce stress. A few minutes in the gentle warmth of the far infrared sauna reduces stress and fatigue by providing an overall massaging effect that relaxes knotted muscles and re-balances the body’s hormones through its effect on the autonomic nervous system. The sauna helps to reduce physical stress by boosting circulation and triggering the production of endorphins, “the feel good’ hormones.
- Get a massage
- Get a minimum of 7 hours sleep. This will help you tackle the day’s stress easier. If you are tired, you are cranky, easily agitated and not very patient which can lead to stress.
- Don’t eat food with lots of empty calories. Eat foods that will keep you healthy and going strong. Good nutrition includes whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and lean sources of protein. We all know we shouldn’t be eating a double cheese burger with bacon, French fries and lots of ketchup. We are always on the run especially during the holidays. Don’t pick up that donut or go to the fast food drive through. Keep healthy snacks around and make time to sit and eat a proper breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Don’t forget to hydrate. Drink plenty of water. Eight tall glasses of water.
I know, I know…it’s the holidays and some of us are being naughty. Stop and try not to over do it. It will make it harder to keep your New Year’s Resolution. One way to start the New Year right is doing an all natural detox. That doesn’t mean starving yourself and only drinking liquids. Who wants to do that?! Not me! January is Detox month at Will2lose.
I will be doing it with you. For more info ask me, the front desk or Will2Lose.com